Wednesday, 7 March 2012

Sometimes it's OK to admit you can't do it all.

Wow, what a week it's been. I'm in my second week of university (of thirteen this semester, I have a feeling they're going to go very fast) and I am not going to lie and say everything is going swimmingly. Within my first few days I knew I couldn't handle a full load, dropped Intro to Psych, and started putting in motion the necessary steps to cut down my education to part time for this semester, which would mean dropping Intro to Stats and only studying Biology and Anthropology (both of which, by the way, I love.)

I've received a lot of criticism for this. The argument is that because I'm not working, I don't have kids or some sort of responsibility, the expectation is that I study full time, all the time. That because everyone else is studying full time with "no problems" (I'm sure they'd beg to differ) I should be no different. Well you know what? I am not those people. I am different. I am my own person. And it is none of your goddamn business how many units, credit points, or hours I work towards my degree this semester. I do not have to share my reasons with anyone but the institutions that are helping it happen.

I would much rather take a little longer to finish my degree and do well in subjects at my own comfortable pace than be rushed and miserable and struggle to even pass. My plans are to continue as a full time student next semester, but for now? I'm doing what's right for me. If you love me, respect me, want to be in my life: you will accept that. No ifs, and, or buts (of course, I was tempted to say "or bees!", which my fellow philes will get.)

Now on a much more positive note: I am loving anthropology and biology. I am absolutely adoring seeing these beyond intelligent, passionate, verbose people talk about their area of expertise. I love hearing people who live and breathe academia. To do that once or twice a week is something I will always enjoy. It is so inspiring. It reminds me that there is still genuine passion in this world, that there are still people who do love to learn. High School teachers can become so jaded teaching the same thing every year to the same disinterested teenage faces - but these lecturers, be they professors, doctors, or simply experienced in their field, are learning, and sharing, new things each and every day. They're travelling, meeting all kinds of unique and beautiful people, and writing about it so that we'll know what's going on. I'm so thankful for this opportunity to learn from these people. I hope one day I can be an expert in my field (what it will be, I do not know, but I am going to figure it out) and share my knowledge with equally eager-to-understand faces.

(Oh, and I love my university, even when it rains so hard I feel like I'm trudging through swamp land.)










No comments:

Post a Comment